Friday, February 6, 2015

Yesterday, Blizzard Watch reported that the Warlords of Draenor soundtrack was nominated for an International Film Music Critics Association award for Best Original Score for a Video Game or Interactive Media, and I wholeheartedly agree that the nomination is well-deserved. This expansion's music has been nothing short of stunning.

However, as amazing as the Warlords of Draenor music is, there is and always shall be one song that epitomizes WarCraft music in my mind - "Echoes of the Past".



This incarnation of the track originally appeared in WarCraft III, I believe, but failed to make it onto the WarCraft III: Reign of Chaos Collector's Edition soundtrack. It was, however, included in the original World of Warcraft Collector's Edition soundtrack, even though it didn't make it into the MMO until the Caverns of Time: Old Hillsbrad Foothills instance was introduced in The Burning Crusade.

In any case, there's just something inherent to the interplay of percussion and woodwinds that makes it the first thing I that pops into my head whenever WarCraft music is brought up. I'm just really sad that Blizzard missed the opportunity to update the track and call it "Echoes of the Alternate Timeline Past". =P

Anyway, I'm going to go listen to the song on repeat for the next few hours, because it's just that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment